Tuesday 25 February 2014

Roses from scraps

As you will know I love adding the little quilled roses onto my cards and projects.
I have been asked at many demos to do a tutorial and it's been on my to do list for a while.... yesterday one of my cards had them on it and I got lots of messages asking me to tell them how to make them (I do love it when you interact with me about the blog projects. Feel free to let me know if there are any tutorials that you would like me to do)......
So here it is.....
I love to use these punches when creating my flowers. These are xcut.
You can use dies as well. The papers I am using here are the Creativity Club downloads for members (I love these)...
But I am always making these from all my scraps.
Sorry about the blue hint to the photos, the lighting is terrible today, but I really wanted to get the tutorial done for you. I'll retake them another day.
So - get yourself a good pile of circles and scalloped circles.
Once you have made a few, you won't need to draw the spiral. I have just drawn it on to show you where I am going to cut. So cut a spiral into the circle, make it thicker rather than thinner. The thinner you make it the harder it is to work with.
I tend to do quite a few all at once, any spares from your project can go into a box and are then ready for you whenever you want one.
I am using a quilling tool here as I find it much easier but you can just roll them by hand. Start at the thin outside edge and roll towards the centre. Follow the inside line that you cut.

This is what is will look like when it is finished. The body of the rose sits on the centre. This is were you add the glue.
I use a hot glue gun as it's quick and easy and it sets right away.

 A few I made earlier.
Let me know how you get on.... they are nice and easy and great fun to make.
Enjoy...
Happy crafting
Nikki x

19 comments:

  1. wow thanks hun for this amazzzing tutorial - have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using punches to make these. I have tried larger ones with not much success. I fancy aking them with the granddaughters. (now where did I put my quilling tool? lol!)

    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki, love this step by step, am going to try this technique in icing! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing - those flowers are super.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super spiral flowers - thanks for sharing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nikki, Very easy to follow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab flowers Nikki, I love making these but havent done any for ages now ! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love quilled flower and these are fabulous.
    Laine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tutorial, beautiful flowers.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks good and not hard thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever idea Nikki, will have a go today x

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU! I've been wanting to try this for so long, but could never figure out how it works. All the instructions tell you to "roll from the thin end", but there's so many ways to roll... You included the vital step, and now I know what to do! yay!
    Just hopping by on the Crafting Cafe blog hop :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nikki just dropping by on the blog hop! Loving these little flowers! I need a circle punch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab flowers Nikki and brill tutorial! maybe I'll have a go! Hopping by from DC xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. great tutorial on these fab flowers
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowie great tutorial, will be popping back to follow this im sure :) Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous Nikki! I must dig into my scrap boxes and get some of these made :-) Ax

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you, lovely clear instructions:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and for leaving a comment.
All comments are read and appreciated.
Happy crafting x